About this Recipe: This is cheap eating at it’s best. Goes best with freshly baked corn bread drizzled with honey.
- 1 lb dried great northern beans
- 3 garlic cloves or the already diced kind to equal the same amount
- 1 large sweet onion , chopped coarsely
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (I use the dry)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves (I don’t put this in)
- 1 lb smoked ham (like a ham steak) or 1 lb ham hock
- 6 cups chicken broth
- Sort beans and soak in enough water to cover overnight.
- Rinse and drain the beans before placing them in the crock pot.
- Put the rinsed beans, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, cloves, ham (chopped in large chunks) or the ham hock into the crock pot along with the 6 cups of chicken broth.
- Cover crock pot, and cook on low for about 8 hours, or until beans are tender.
- Skim off any excess fat, if necessary, before serving.